Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I have seen an ENT Consultant today and he diagnosed a large nasal polyp in my right nasal passage...?

the consultant decided it would have to be removed asap. I am 35 weeks pregnant and he does not want to remove the polyp before the baby is born as a CT scan is required. I have suffered severe nosebleeds since being 3 months pregnant which he has confirmed is from my septum. Does anyone know the name of the procedure used to deal with the polyp and if it can be done under local anaesthetic as I am terrified of general anasthetic, thanks.
Answer:
First of all, sorry that your going through this. Stress sucks, especially when you;re pregnant. Polypectomy鈥搑emoving nasal polyps by removing the polyps from the nose
Endoscopic Sinus Surgery鈥搑emoving the nasal polyps and opening the sinuses where the polyps formI'm not sure if they have to put you under general, but I'd imagine they would.I too have always been very scared of being put under. However, I did my research and realized that it's actually really really safe! I still haven't done it, but I'm comfortable with the idea now! Good luck!! Congrats on your upcoming arrival!
From all I have been told about this surgery it IS done under local.
I am desperately hoping that the treatment my doctor has given me for mine (using a steroid drop every other day) will continue to keep mine at bay forever!
I understand that this surgery is not necessarily going to cure the problem - the polyp can grow back!Have a look here for a bit more info:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/nasal_polyp...
It is called septoplasty. I would agree withthe doctor. I say this because I have had 2. The surgery is no joke. I took it lightly the 1st time and I thought I was going to die. I have never been pregnant but I can say this, That surgery is not to tried while pregnant. The reason the doctor may not want to do it while you are pregnant is because you have to like sleep with your mouth open for like 24 hours because it is so hard to breathe through your nose. You will be knocked out when it is done, local is the best way to go. With what the doctor has to do local is the only way to go. Check it out on the net, google it, I am sure you can see the prcedure done on the net.
Good Luck!!
It is called a nasal polypectomy, and I certainly would not advise you to have it done under a local anaesthetic, as its extremely painful done that way. It can be done as a day case, or if theres a risk you might bleed (which given your current symptoms it sounds like there is) then its just an overnight stay. You will almost certainly have packs up your nose (like tampons) for 4-6 hours following the op.
Good luck!
Sorry to say I cannot remember the name but I had the same problem "nasal polyps' one up each nasal passage and I had a general anaesthetic - pretty certain they wont do a local.
There are five different types of nasal polyps so removal and anaesthetic may vary.see link
I had the regular sinus surgery twice. The second time I had a severe asthma attack in the recovery room, so your fear of anasthetic is a valid one. I do not know of a procedure that can be done under a local anasthetic. During my last surgery I was given a breathing treatment beforehand to help with my breathing both during and after surgery, and I did not suffer any breathing problems. If you learn of a surgery that can be preformed under a local anasthetic, I would like to know about it because it is usually the case that htese polyps come back and need to be removed again. I would also be glad to avoid anesthetics.
Good luck with your surgery
I'm not sure if they will do a local anaesthetic-I had a large polyp removed from my right nasal passage %26 had to be placed under general anaesthetic for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net