Tuesday, May 25, 2010

I have suffered severe bloodloss and my ferritin level is 6,what is normal?

I have a bowel condition which means i have constant bloodloss my ferritin is 6 and hb low what would be normal and what does this mean?
Answer:
i assume you mean its 6 ng/mL correct? okay well the normal for a male is about 12-300 ng/ml and females is about 12-150 ng/ml basically what this an indication of how much iron is stored in your body, it is usually past of an iron blood test workup, the most worrisome issue about low ferritin is that it means you have low iron, which can lead to anemia, for your hb (hemoglobin) being low, hemoglobin is basically just a protein in your blood that carries oxygen, the lower your hemoglobin the less oxygen you body can carry, normal levels of Hb for males are about 14 -17 gm/dL, and 12-15 gm/dL for females, low hemoglobin can also be a sign of anemia, hope that helps, Good luck : D
I think the ferritin levels should be about 12 on average which is classed as 'normal'. Isn't this linked in with iron intake also, so if you take the right medication it should boost it back up again over time.I don't know about the 'fix' for this, I'm just going on what I remember from watching a medial video a while ago!
At a doctors visit they can give you a test to see if your low. I once went to donate blood and was told I couldn't because I only had enough for myself. That had been like 2 days after my period. And I tend to bleed allot. They had done a small strip test with a dot of blood from my finger. I imagine since you are aware of your problem. You must see a doctor from time to time. Talk these worries over with your doctor. Do to your problem I imagine he must have you on some sort of medicine. Drink grape juice daily that is very good to recuperate loss blood. Now that I remember in order to donate I had to be at least a 12. So yes 6 is low.
Ferritin is a form of storage iron
the normal serum level is: 15-200 ng/mL (15-200 mg/L)
so your body does not have enough iron stored to make hemoglobin for red blood cells to transport oxygen
through your bodyThe normal iron content of the body is 3 to 4 grams. It exists in the following forms:Hemoglobin in circulating red cells 鈥?approximately 2 grams
Iron containing proteins, 400 mg
Iron bound to transferrin in plasma 鈥?3 to 7 mg
The remainder is storage iron in the form of ferritin or hemosiderin.Your doctor may have told you to take iron
it is best absorbed with acid substances like orange juice
vitron c is iron with vitamin c (ascorbic acid)iron absorption is blocked by tea or coffee so do not take your iron with these drinkswork with your doctor on this and get better soon
Normal Values of ferritin:
Male: 12-300 ng/mL
Female: 12-150 ng/mL
Note: ng/ml = nanograms per milliliter
The lower the ferritin level, even within the "normal" range, the more likely it is that the patient does not have enough iron.
How to lower/raise: avoid or eat foods rich in iron: eggs, liver, red meat, soy products. Also cook or avoid cooking with a cast iron skillet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive

vc .net